Me, my background and my experience
Hello again and thank you for stopping by to find out a bit more about me, my background and my experience. In this blog post I will share with you some of the things I have done so far in my life and career. This will give you a flavour of where my skills sit, what I love to do, and the kinds of things I can help you with.
Let's start with now and work backwards
So, this is me. Amy Adams. I live and work in Broadstairs, Kent, on the very edge of the UK. After growing up in Greater London and then living in Surrey for the last few years, I love being close to the relentless energy of the sea.
I’ve been fortunate to have led a good life. Until last year, I was in a good job. Living in a nice flat. Enjoying life. But then my partner Joe and I took three weeks off work and went on a 4,000-mile road trip through Europe, driving to Montenegro.
The places we visited and people we met provided a new perspective on our lives. We were reminded how fortunate we are to live in a time and place so abundant with opportunities for those with the courage to reach out and grab them. We felt free, empowered and like we could achieve anything we wanted. The trouble was, this feeling stuck with us, and life was never to be the same again.
When we went back to work, it just wasn’t the same. ‘Good’ was no longer good enough. Unable to wholeheartedly dance to someone else’s tune, we vowed to reject ‘good’ and pursue ‘amazing’. We decided to each set up our own business with the ambition to do more good in this wonderful world. Both of us set out to help as many people as possible to have a better experience of this life.
Joe, an experienced horticulturist and talented photographer, set up a photography business with the aim of connecting people with nature. I set up My-Go-To with the aim of helping overloaded workers to delegate and make time to get more out of life.
So, now you know how it all started. But what about my background before this?
Me and my background in a nutshell
In case you are reading this in a hurry, I am going to give you a concise summary of me, my background and my experience. If you have a few minutes more, read on and you will find out more context to qualify these statements.
- As a person: I love to help others to have an enhanced experience of life. This has guided my life choices and is ultimately why I set up My-Go-To.
- Professionally: I have a strong track record, having driven revenue growth and overseen change. I have managed projects, budgets, people and programmes, and worked to support and inform a wide range of stakeholders and initiatives.
- Academically: I am a high achiever. Underpinning my career is a BSc in Psychology.
- Intellectually: I am a creative, forward-thinking strategist.
- Spiritually: I love our planet and the plethora of people, animals, plants and adventures it hosts.
- Morally: I stand for sustainability, equality, inclusion and opportunity for all and I thrive on helping others to get what they want out of their lives. That is why I offer discounted rates for charities and social enterprises.
- Fundamentally: I carry a daily awareness that time is continuously depleting for us all. None of us know how long we have, or how much time we will get with those we love. I wish to use mine well, by helping you to use yours the best way you can. I am here to ensure you get the most out of every moment available to you.
- To work with: you will find me dependable, highly organised, pragmatic, efficient, strategic, personable, honest and helpful. As a natural creative I am full of ideas and enthusiasm. I am deadly serious about doing a good job, but I do so with a dose of good humour. I will encourage you to make today count, and to reach out for the boundaries to discover if they really are there.
Blame it on Brown Owl
My devotion to helping others can probably be traced back to when I was a Brownie, and we were constantly drilled on being good citizens and selflessly helping others. Brown Owl would be proud to know that this conditioning was successful and my brain remains imprinted with this message.
Helping others gives me a wonderful feeling inside, and I have realised that this is my life’s purpose. My motivation is to be able to look back on my life and know that I have helped as many people as possible to have a better experience of their own lives. I want to know that every day I was here, I earned my place on this planet.
My 'why': Living to help others
My care for, and interest in others is why I studied Psychology at university. In my career, that calling took many guises; I worked as an Executive Assistant, ran learning programmes and a community project – but more about that later.
It’s this genuine care for others that also guided me to become a qualified massage therapist. Having learned about stress and the damaging impact it can have on people, I wanted to learn a direct and practical way to reduce its impact. Reducing your stress is a big reason why I set up My-Go-To, and you can read more about why I care about your stress.
Over the years I have become the person that friends, family and colleagues go to for support. Whether a personal dilemma, a job application, writing a CV, dealing with a complaint or having a stiff neck, I became the person to go to for help. And I love it. It makes me feel so good inside to know that I can help.
My professional experience
So, briefly, in my career I have;
- Gained extensive experience of working for high-profile, national organisations including in the charity and retail sectors.
- Had the honour to work closely with CEO’s, Chairs, Directors, Curators, Heads of Site and small business owners, as well as a diverse range of audiences.
- Worked in the horticulture industry for over 8 years.
- Organised and delivered many events, including hundreds of workshops.
- Managed change, devised and written communication campaigns, crunched numbers and swept floors.
- Made significant increases to revenue and profits.
- Worked as an Executive Assistant to the CEO, Chair, Board of Trustees and Director of a major national charity.
- Set up and run a four-year community project.
- Truly loved doing it all.
My academic background
Okay, I’ll keep this brief too. Academically, my background consists of:
- BSc (Hons) 2:1 in Psychology from the University of Leicester (2006)
- A-Levels: Psychology (A), Law (B), Art (B)
- GCSE: English Language (A), English Literature (A), Maths (B), French (A), History (B), Art (B), Science (C,C), IT (C), Food Technology (A)
I also have a publication in the scientific journal Perception, which is an article I co-wrote following my dissertation research. You can find it here, if you are interested in reading about why adults find it difficult to draw accurately.
I don’t believe that qualifications are the measure of a person. Truthfully, there are some pretty huge blanks in what I remember from many of these learning experiences! Much of the real learning came later for me. What I believe they do show is an insight into my interests and formative life choices. They are also evidence that I see things through to completion and that I apply high standards to what I work on.
A creative case study
If you’re still reading, thanks for sticking with me! Believe me when I tell you that I would much rather be finding out about you than telling you about myself! But I understand that if you are thinking of working with me, it would be helpful to have an idea of who I am, what my background is and how I work. We are on the home straight now, and to reward you for your patience, I’m going to skip through the rest quickly.
So, I told you that I am creative person. To give you an idea, I will use a case study as an example.
I came up with the concept for, and co-created, a family activity stand at the RHS Hampton Court Palace Flower Show in 2017. My work on the project started with the vision, continued with the logistics, budgeting and organisation, and ended with the build and installation. The concept was based around children ‘collecting pollen’ as they completed an adventure trail in the garden we created.
The photo below will give you a small taste of the level of creativity and commitment I put into all my work. These signs which I devised, made and lovingly hand-painted (in my own time) attracted hoards of visitors. Even the real bees took notice!
How I tick
What you will find about me is that I am a progressive thinker who is not afraid to suggest new things. I dare to be different. In every job I have had, I have been someone to put their hand up to share ideas. I’ve been that same person to take those ideas and work out how they can happen. I’ve often then been the person who delivered on the outcome. Top to bottom, I truly love every step of the process.
My reason for this is because I believe in the concept of Kaizen – or as the 2012 Olympics put it – ‘better never stops’. My brain is automatically always searching for solutions and improvements; which is great during the daytime and not so good when I’m trying to go to sleep!
I told you I love our planet and everything it plays host to, and it’s true. I love the adventure that is life, but most of all I enjoy every human and animal encounter I make along the way (if you don’t count spiders). That is why I choose to work virtually. This way I can have the best of both worlds; I get to work with the best people, no matter where you are based. I also get to do that from anywhere I choose to base myself. It’s the future, and it’s brilliant.
But really, that’s quite enough about me and my background. I would love to get to know you and find out more about the things I can help you with. Make today count, and arrange your free consultation now.